Florida Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam is encouraging Florida’s agricultural land owners to consider applying to the Rural and Family Lands Protection Program. The goal of the program is to acquire perpetual agricultural conservation easements to ensure lands will be preserved in agricultural use while providing for the protection of natural resources. The program will be receiving easement applications from July 15-Aug. 29.
The program was recently appropriated $11.3 million for the acquisition of perpetual agriculture conservation easements. The goals of the program are to:
- Protect valuable agricultural lands
- Create conservation easements that ensure suitable agricultural practices and prevent conversion to non-agricultural land uses in the rural base of Florida
- Protect natural resources in conjunction with these agricultural operations
- Promote the U.S. military mission in Florida; and
- Promote the concept of a statewide conservation corridor.
For more information on the Rural and Family Lands Protection Program, please see the following link: http://www.floridaforestservice.com/rural_lands/index.html.